In 1927, Greenwood Baptist Church was the home of an African-American congregation on Kansas City's Westside.
In researching the building's history, a rich story begins to emerge of a small group of faithful, who began gathering in the post-Civil War 1890s and grew until 2014.
So far we have uncovered maps and architectural drawings that show the construction of the building in two phases, from a small stone chapel in 1927, to a full church in 1945. The church is all that remains of what was once a thriving black neighborhood. We have also uncovered images, news stories, and written histories that have now begun to create a compelling image of a city, a neighborhood, and a culture that deserves to be given its due.
The former Greenwood Baptist Church has been in the process of renovation since early 2016. However, there is more to be learned as the publications and archives of the community are scattered.
We are still putting the pieces together, and each new piece leads to ten more.
Here are a few of those we're working with so far (click to enlarge):